Friday, May 16, 2008

Random thoughts

Action!
Its time for me to start with my masters thesis in interaction design after postponing school work for 21 months to find passion, interests and myself. Things that aren't taught at the University, but only in real life, things that you didn't know you wanted to learn.
Choosing a subject that is interesting from both a design perspective and some kind of scientific value isn't entirely trivial I think.

Ministry of Love
Personally I think surveillance is pretty interesting... What is captured in the cities? Who can watch? Who is watching you? Right now? Usually there is a sign that tells you that you are being watched, at least in Sweden, based on pretty strong integrity laws, that are slowly being weakened as a result of economical interests clashing with moral decay and changing public opinion. However I think there is a lack of understanding what is really happening... How can one be attached, understand, what does it really mean to be under such surveillance. What are my benefits vs. losses as private person? 1984 seems more real everyday, taking into account political changes in the world. I don't think that many understand the implications and the magnitude of our actions in this matter. Perhaps it wont matter...

Some other thoughts then... Can I do something more humane, create understanding between humans and their situation. Create a meeting between people. There are a number of approaches already taken in this direction. It seems like the norm is to experience something together, to create a common ground on which a discussion can talk place. A primer for people and interaction. Is this the only way to do this, is there maybe something more primitive that can bring people together e.g. body language?

Handshake machine
I read a book about a body language and in particular one thing caught my eye. A section described how people shake hands and how the handshake is experienced. There seemed to be a particular formula for the perfect handshake. So I thought, can a handshake machine be built to practice this action. It could give you score based on how close to the perfect handshake you come. Now is this a good thing? Are we adapting the person to a norm. Isn't this a bit like getting plastic surgery? You are changing something to fit the standard and transform yourself to something else...